Skip to main content

Surgeryversary - 1 year

Today marks my 1 year to date since I had my surgery. I thought this would be a great time to share some of my experiences during my first year.


Sept 9, 2016


At the beginning of this crazy journey, I weighed 333 lbs. I was on a downhill road to what I was sure was an early death. I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea, diabetes, could barely walk, I was a mess. Just doing regular daily things like taking a shower, going to the store, tying my shoes was a chore and wore me out! I knew I had to do something and I had to do it fast.

I had tried dieting, I was on weight watchers, I tried Atkins, I tried just eating healthy, but I was on the yo-yo string and going up and down. It wasn't working. I started doing my research on bariatric surgery, the different types, the pros and cons, what was safest, what was most effective? I finally decided I wanted to have the gastric sleeve so I scheduled my appointment for the seminar in Oct of 2015.

After the seminar I got all my paperwork turned in, submitted my program fee and in January of 2016 I began seeing the nutritionist at KC Bariatric. My insurance required me to go on a 3 month diet, at which time I could not gain any weight. I had to at least maintain where I was at.

After my 3 month diet, I had to see the psychiatrist for a psych eval I guess to make sure I was clear in my head and could make this decision and stick with it. I think my psychiatrist was crazier than me! One of the first things he said to me is, "I feel like you are a very angry type of person." I just laughed at him and asked him why he would think that? I am one of the least angry type of people. (Maybe it was the red hair?). Anyway, I went home and told my husband what he had said and asked him to come with me to my next appointment, which he did. And sure enough, that crazy man said it again, I am an angry person. This time it was my husband's turn to laugh at him. This guy clearly does not know me. He wanted to schedule more sessions and was making it a recommendation before I could get cleared for surgery. I told him Id see my own therapist, I didn't want to see him anymore.

From May - July 2016, I had test done, got clearance from my other doctors and finally got the call that my surgery date was scheduled for August 31, 2016. I was to begin a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. I was dreading that part!

I had my 2 week pre-surgery appointment and my doctor asked me if I was ready to start the liquid diet. I cringed and told him not really but I was going to do it so I could have this surgery! Then he tells me that we can get by with only 1 week liquid diet! I was so happy I left that appointment and went out to eat to celebrate.

The liquid diet was hell, I hated the protein shakes, I literally had to gag them down. The first 3 days were the worst! I was so hungry! Like starving! I wanted to eat something so bad! But I stayed with my liquid diet, even when my family brought home KFC fried chicken for dinner one night! (That about killed me!)



And then finally, the day came, surgery day. I was excited, nervous, scared, all the emotions. This was the day I was going to change my life forever!  I attempted to do a video pre-surgery, but I had already been given some drugs and I was a little out of it, so it might be amusing to watch!


I started a blog at another location shortly after my surgery, however, I had some issues with the company that wanted to overcharge me for that blog so I stopped. I did get a few post in however that I want to share here. The first one I want to share is about the emotional rollercoaster that no one warned me about that would happen shortly after surgery. Click <HERE> to view that post.

And for the rest of that blog in my first couple of weeks you can click <HERE> to view.

Here is a video I did at 3 weeks out from surgery...

Its crazy looking back at these videos and how far I have come since then! Here is a video gallery of some photos over the past year....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OMG PIZZA!!

Since I started my weight loss journey, I have been eating low carb high protein diet. I avoid bread like it was the plague, but I must admit, I sure do miss some things! And one of those things is Pizza! I can't really stomach eating the crust (or anything bread related), it just sits too heavy in my stomach and is very uncomfortable, sometimes painfully so. It has been almost a year now since I had my surgery, and I was determined that I was going to have pizza! I searched high and low for low carb pizza crust recipes and came across several. One of them uses cauliflower to make the crust, but cauliflower is just so darn expensive! Others use almond flour (again super expensive!) or some weird strange ingredients I have never heard of. And then I came across this one... It seemed almost too good to be true! Super simple ingredients that don't cost an arm and a leg. I must admit, I was skeptical! The recipe seemed too easy, and didn't sound like something that would ho

My 44th birthday!

Today is my birthday! I can't hardly believe it, I am 44 years old today and feel half that age! My celebration started last weekend, Saturday we had a gathering of friends and family. My parents, my brother and his family, my best friend and her husband and another friend from the club I'm a member of came over, in addition to the 7 in my family alone. We sat around my new fire pit area complete with benches that my husband built for me for my birthday! Had a few drinks, some appetizers and had a good time. This year for my birthday, my oldest son took me out to lunch and then bought me a new hummingbird feeder that I wanted. And the hummingbirds enjoy it too :) Then my oldest daughter took me to Kohls to buy some new shoes that I needed to have for working purposes. Following that, she took me to Bed Bath and Beyond where I got some nice smelly good stuff, and then we went to Starbucks where she treated me to a pumpkin spice coffee that was delicious! My you

Trying new Recipes...

I have been trying a lot of new recipes lately that I find on Pintrest and thought I would share and review my opinion on a few of them that I have recently made.... Starting with, low carb bread . So one thing on a low carb diet, bread is pretty much out the door. I don't really miss it as there are a lot of substitutes that work great for bread, but every now and then I want an ooie gooie grilled cheese sandwich. Not having bread makes this a bit difficult. So I looked up a recipe for a low carb bread and decided to give it a try. As you can see, my bread turned out pretty nice. Had a nice brown crust to it, my toothpick came out nice and clean, sure looks like bread! I dumped it out of the loaf pan and onto a plate so I could cut it and store it easier. It came out okay... I probably should have greased the pan a bit better, it did leave some of the bread behind on the bottom, but that's ok, I still have a good looking loaf of bread that I can eat! I get everyth