Skip to main content

Lets Talk Weight Loss...

Ahhh Weight Loss, a topic that effects many. If you are at all like me, the word DIET makes you cringe. Well think about it, the first three letters of diet is DIE! And when I go on a diet, that is exactly how I felt! 

I had tried just about every known diet out there. And some of them I did good on, only to fall off the wagon and gain it all back. It is and was a life long struggle for me. I have never been 'thin' or even an ideal weight. I have always been classified as obese. 

After doing a lot of research, I had finally made the decision that surgery was my best option. In October of 2015 I went to the seminar to learn more about this option. The doctor explained to me how dieting just doesn't work for everyone. (As if I didn't know this!), but then he went further into explaining why. Now I don't recall all the details of that seminar, but I do recall them saying how a part of our stomach produces some sort of hormone that effects our ability to lose weight and keep it off. Having this surgery removes that part of the stomach eliminating that hormone and allows our bodies to finally start losing weight and keeping it off. 

I had to go through all the insurance hoops, see a dietitian, a psychologist, have a sleep study, a the whole rig-a-ma-roll, but I did it all. It felt like a very long drawn out process but finally I was able to get scheduled for my surgery, August 29, 2016... The day that saved my life.

Now let me explain what led me to this decision. In the year 2015, I had been diagnosed with high blood pressure and was put on medications. I was later then diagnosed with diabetes, (the kind you get from being overweight) and again was put on medications. I was having difficulties sleeping at night and my doctor set up a sleep study... wouldn't you know it, I had sleep apnea and had to put on a cpap machine. (I hated that thing!) Not to mention my body hurt all the time, I could barely stand on my feet for more than few minutes and I got short of breath just trying to tie my shoes! I was also suffering from depression and anxiety. I never wanted to leave my house, I always felt like everywhere I went people were staring at me and saying things to themselves like 'I hope I never get that big...' or 'Gross'. I knew I had to do something.  I felt like I was on the verge of death, much sooner than later if I didn't. 

So on August 29th, 2016, I was scheduled for surgery, and like I said, this is the day that saved my life. At my highest weight I was 333 lbs. I am 5'8, which put my BMI at 51 which was a very high risk of bad health (duh... I was already on that road!). 

I had the Gastric sleeve surgery. After doing all my research and talking to my doctors, I felt this was the best surgery for me. It seemed to have the highest results with the fewest complications. I'm not going to say it was easy, not by any means, but it was worth it and I'd do it again if I had to turn back time and make a decision again.

I am just about 11 months post-op now and I have lost 142 lbs. I have gone from a size 24-26 down to a size 10-12! I feel amazing! I can move around, I can walk, I can keep up with my kids! I have done things this past year that I never thought I'd be able to do again. I have gone to Worlds of Fun, I put on a swimsuit and wasn't ashamed to be in public! I have gone camping with the kids. I feel like I have a whole new life! And I am off all of my medications! Only thing I take now is my vitamins! 

Now, I will say, here in this last couple of months I have been on a bit of a plateau. I have been struggling with some ups and down without really getting anywhere. (This will be a subject for a future post). At least I am staying consistent and maintaining where I'm at. I'd like to see at least another 25 lbs lost so that is my next big goal. 

Below are some photos of my progress....



Some of my progress photos in the first 3 months.
a Before and After photo. Me at my highest weight on the Left, and a recent pic on the left (taken in June)
Me with my new hair cut, taken yesterday, July 12, 2017, wearing a cute summer dress size 10!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OMG PIZZA!!

Since I started my weight loss journey, I have been eating low carb high protein diet. I avoid bread like it was the plague, but I must admit, I sure do miss some things! And one of those things is Pizza! I can't really stomach eating the crust (or anything bread related), it just sits too heavy in my stomach and is very uncomfortable, sometimes painfully so. It has been almost a year now since I had my surgery, and I was determined that I was going to have pizza! I searched high and low for low carb pizza crust recipes and came across several. One of them uses cauliflower to make the crust, but cauliflower is just so darn expensive! Others use almond flour (again super expensive!) or some weird strange ingredients I have never heard of. And then I came across this one... It seemed almost too good to be true! Super simple ingredients that don't cost an arm and a leg. I must admit, I was skeptical! The recipe seemed too easy, and didn't sound like something that would ho

My 44th birthday!

Today is my birthday! I can't hardly believe it, I am 44 years old today and feel half that age! My celebration started last weekend, Saturday we had a gathering of friends and family. My parents, my brother and his family, my best friend and her husband and another friend from the club I'm a member of came over, in addition to the 7 in my family alone. We sat around my new fire pit area complete with benches that my husband built for me for my birthday! Had a few drinks, some appetizers and had a good time. This year for my birthday, my oldest son took me out to lunch and then bought me a new hummingbird feeder that I wanted. And the hummingbirds enjoy it too :) Then my oldest daughter took me to Kohls to buy some new shoes that I needed to have for working purposes. Following that, she took me to Bed Bath and Beyond where I got some nice smelly good stuff, and then we went to Starbucks where she treated me to a pumpkin spice coffee that was delicious! My you

Trying new Recipes...

I have been trying a lot of new recipes lately that I find on Pintrest and thought I would share and review my opinion on a few of them that I have recently made.... Starting with, low carb bread . So one thing on a low carb diet, bread is pretty much out the door. I don't really miss it as there are a lot of substitutes that work great for bread, but every now and then I want an ooie gooie grilled cheese sandwich. Not having bread makes this a bit difficult. So I looked up a recipe for a low carb bread and decided to give it a try. As you can see, my bread turned out pretty nice. Had a nice brown crust to it, my toothpick came out nice and clean, sure looks like bread! I dumped it out of the loaf pan and onto a plate so I could cut it and store it easier. It came out okay... I probably should have greased the pan a bit better, it did leave some of the bread behind on the bottom, but that's ok, I still have a good looking loaf of bread that I can eat! I get everyth